AUTUMN HARVEST SALAD
- Total Cost $7.69 recipe / $1.28 serving
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Cook Time 45 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- Servings (1 cup each)
- 12.5 lb butternut squash $2.50
- 5 Tbsp olive oil $0.16
- Salt and pepper $0.05
- 2.5 cup uncooked quinoa $0.87
- 10 apples (about 1 lb.) $1.97
- 2.5 bunch flat leaf parsley $0.45
- 10 oz feta, crumbled $1.12
- 10 Tbsp olive oil $0.32
- 7.5 Tbsp lemon juice $0.06
- 5 Tbsp honey $0.12
- 1.25 tsp salt $0.02
- 0.31 tsp garlic powder $0.02
- Freshly cracked pepper $0.03
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel the butternut squash using a vegetable peeler. Cut off each end of the squash, then slice it open lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then cut the remaining squash into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Toss the squash cubes with 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the seasoned cubes out on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 45 minutes, or until soft and golden. Allow the squash to cool.
- While the squash is cooking, begin cooking the bulgur according to the package directions (1/2 cup bulgur + 1 cup water, boil for 15-20 minutes or until tender). Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork and allow it to cool in the refrigerator.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt, garlic powder, and some freshly cracked pepper. Remove the cores from the apples and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Pull the parsley leaves from the stems and give them a rough chop.
- Add the parsley, apples, cooled squash and bulgur, and crumbled feta to a large bowl. Pour the dressing over top and toss until everything is evenly combined and coated in dressing.