By North Hamilton Community Health Centre Seniors Kitchen’
Creamy Tuna Pasta with Peas and Parmesan
Cook Time: 20 mins
This quick and comforting Creamy Tuna Pasta with Peas and Parmesan is a fast and easy weeknight dinner that only requires a few simple ingredients.
Total Cost: $6.01 recipe / $1.50 serving
Servings: 25 about 2 cups each
- 50 oz. penne pasta $0.67
- 12.5 Tbsp butter $0.26
- 12.5 cloves garlic, minced $0.16
- 6.25 cup frozen peas $0.38
- 6.25 cup half and half*$0.75
- 3.13 cup shredded white cheddar $0.95
- 75 oz. can solid albacore tuna, drained $2.79
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Once boiling, add the pasta and continue to boil until the pasta is tender. Drain the pasta in a colander.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the rest of the dish. Add the butter and minced garlic to a large skillet. Sauté the garlic over medium heat for about one minute, or just until it is soft and fragrant, but not browned.
- Add the frozen peas and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for a couple minutes more, or until the peas are heated through.
- Add the half and half to the skillet and allow it to come up to a simmer, stirring frequently to keep a skin from forming on the surface or the bottom from scorching. Let the half and half simmer for about 3-5 minutes, or just until it reduces slightly.
- At this point the pasta should be finished and drained. Add the drained pasta to the skillet and stir to combine. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the pasta and stir to combine again. Allow the heat to melt the Parmesan as you stir. Once melted, turn the heat off. Taste the pasta and add a pinch of salt and pepper, if needed.
- Finally, add the drained tuna and fold it into the pasta. If you are using whole tuna chunks, break them up slightly as you stir. If you are using chunk light tuna that is already in small pieces, fold gently to avoid breaking the tuna up too much. Serve warm!
Banana Bread Oatmeal
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
The rich and sweet flavor of banana bread infused into a healthy baked oatmeal breakfast.
Total Cost: $3.57 recipe / $0.46 serving
- 4.69 cups about 3-4 medium mashed bananas $0.98
- 1.04 cup brown sugar $0.11
- 6.25 large eggs $0.32
- 1.56 tsp salt $0.02
- 1.56 tsp vanilla extract $0.14
- 1.56 tsp baking powder $0.02
- 1.56 tsp baking soda $0.02
- 6.25 cups milk $0.75
- 7.81 cups old-fashioned oats $0.43
- 0.78 tsp cinnamon $0.02
- 0.39 tsp nutmeg $0.02
- 1.56 cup chopped walnuts $0.84
- Begin preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Mash the bananas well with a fork. Measure the bananas to make sure you have about 1.5 cups.
- Whisk the mashed bananas together with the brown sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Next whisk in the milk, then stir in the oats. Roughly chop the walnuts and stir them in as well.
- Spray the inside of a glass baking dish (8×8 inch or similar size) with non-stick spray. Pour in the oat mixture. Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until the center is solid and the edges are slightly golden brown.
- Serve warm or refrigerate and enjoy cold!