By Brian Roulston
The Parish Church of St.Luke’s, founded in 1822 and stands proudly on the corner of John and Macauley. It is a fair size brick church with three windows and a steeple.
To look at it transforms you back to a time when Hamilton didn’t have paved streets or sidewalks and the horse and buggy were the king of the roads.
Asphalt sidewalks were only installed a couple years after the original church was built. This led to a problem for many North Enders who wished to go to Sunday Worship at Christ’s Church Cathedral located on James Street North. When it rained or snowed the roads would become an almost impassable mess. In 1882 a group of people asked the Vicar of Christ’s Church if he could fund a new parish for them.
Once funded the group purchased a wood frame building which was at one time used as Methodist Episcopal Church then moved it to the present-day site of St. Luke’s. It opened as the 6th Episcopal place for worship in Hamilton on July 9,1882. The sermon was presided by Dr. Mockridge and the Reverend F.E Howitt. This church would serve the community for 7 years.
By 1883 the church became self- supported. Plans were made to build a new more modern brick church. The new church with a seating capacity of 300 opened to worshippers in 1889.
Between 1916 and 1922 the parish hall was built where many religious and other activities were hosted for 48 years until it was gutted by fire in 1970. St. Luke’s Parish Hall was restored and modernized.
Soon this church will no longer receive worshippers and the last regular service will be held on Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 10:00 am. The closing service will be held on Wednesday, October 18th at 7:30. That date commemorates the 135th anniversary of St. Luke’s. The building and hall will remain and the memory of worship in the old red brick church will be held dear by many of its followers.