• 5 medium whole fresh tomatoes
• 5 shallots, coarsely chopped
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 1/4 balsamic vinegar
• 1 load French bread for dipping
Core and slice the tomatoes, and arrange them in a serving dish. Sprinkle
the shallots over the tomatoes. Whisk the olive oil and balsamic vinegar
together with a fork, then pour over the tomatoes. Let stand for 5 minutes
before serving, or refrigerate, covered, for up to 3 days. Eat with French
bread, and dip the bread in the marinade when finished with the tomatoes.
Bing Cherry Amaretti No Bake Dessert
Some of the most popular summer desserts include no-bake cakes, fruit shortcakes and tarts, smoothies, ice cream, and sorbet. In the summer heat, few people
want to use an oven to bake desserts. Popular summer dessert ideas include cakes and pies that do not require any cooking.
• 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
• 1/3 cup cold water
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh Bing or other dark
sweet cherries, divided
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1 cup coarsely crushed amaretti cookies (about 16
• Optional toppings: Fresh mint leaves, Bing cherries
and additional crushed amaretti cookies
1. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Heat and stir
over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes.
2. Place sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, extracts, 1 cup cherries and gelatin mixture in a
blender; cover and process until cherries are pureed. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Remove 1/2 cup whipped cream;
reserve for topping. Gently fold remaining whipped cream into cherry mixture. Fold in
crushed cookies and remaining chopped cherries. Divide mixture among 8 dessert dishes.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
4. Serve with reserved whipped cream and optional toppings as desired.